Friday, August 27, 2010

RIP, Golden Dorset Apples

I've officially given up on my apple tree.

This was its third summer. The first year, it just grew and seemed to be doing pretty well.

Last year, it actually produced some apples.



Some critters (squirrels, I assume) ate any apples before I could pick them. But at least they were there.

This year, it was green for a bit. But no apples ever grew.

And now it looks like this.



I'm going to dig it up this weekend.

Good night, sweet apples. I would have liked to have known thee well.

On a plus note in my garden, my passion vine has started blooming. Its finicky, and only comes up in late summer. Its not snaking around my tree very well, preferring instead to take over the rosemary and other nearby plants. But I love waking up and finding the flowers in my backyard.

1 comment:

  1. I tried to grow a peach tree a few years ago and had the same luck. Wouldn't it be lovely to grow our own fruit?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...