Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Lucky Thirteen

Monday was our 13th wedding anniversary.




Every year, rather than exchanging gifts, we celebrate by going somewhere together. This year we chose the Outpost Inn in Round Top, Texas, and stayed in their Casita on Saturday night.



The place was lovely, although the breakfast was simply standard. Not the five star breakfast I was led to expect from their website, TripAdvisor reviews, and even from the guest book in our casita. I suspect that was because Big Danny was our chef, rather than the owner of the B&B. But I did love our room, especially the bathroom. I'm a sucker for a big Jacuzzi bathtub.

And  I found the perfect reading spot outside.





We ate lunch on Saturday at the Stone Cellar. The marghareita pizza was to die for, and we shared a bottle of Cellar No. 8 Zinfandel.



Afterward, we shopped, and I even managed to find my requisite Christmas ornament, which I always seek out as a souvenir on a trip. I'm not fond of mugs or snowglobes as souvenirs, but an ornament is special, and something I can visit with every year, for a short period of time before it gets packed away and doesn't clutter up my house for eleven months of the year.

We went to see Twelfth Night performed that evening, and shared a picnic dinner and more wine. I was a bit worried when I read that the Shakespeare at Winedale performances are held in a barn, but there were plenty of fans so that we weren't *too* miserable in the heat.



We especially enjoyed the Shakespearean cows that the drama students had created.
 


Sunday, we tried out Royer's Cafe for their famous fried chicken. It was quite good, although it was way, way too much, especially since we were there right at their opening, since the fried chicken is only sold for a maximum of three hours on Sundays, or until they run out. Its a bit of an institution in Texas, and was recently featured on the CBS Evening News as one of the best fried chickens in America.



All in all, it was a fun weekend spent in Round Top, Texas, population 77.  I wonder what the new census count will be? ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary! Sounds like a neat litte place and a good time!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...