Friday, July 9, 2010

Kids say the darndest things



"I don't know what I want to do with my life."
-- Ryan Swanson, age 4






That's right. Last night, as I was tucking Ryan in to bed, he uttered some gems.

First, his big brother snuck in to his room. It was Carl's night to tuck Alex in, and apparently they had wrapped up a bit before Ryan and I. So Alex came to see what was happening, and then asked me to check on him before I went downstairs.



After Alex left, Ryan asked thoughtfully, "Are you going to see Alex in a minute?" I answered yes. He thought about this for a few moments.

Then, "I'm going to need a bit of attention spent on me." Color me speechless. I reassured him I would spend a bit of attention on him.

And then ...

Ryan: "I don't know what I want to do with my life."

Mommy: "Well... you are *only* four. We've got a few years to figure this out."

Ryan: "I just want to be a baby. No one knows how to make me a baby."

Mommy: "You'll always be my baby."

Ryan: "A little baby."

Mommy:  "Honey, you're four years old now. My little giant. You're never going to be a little baby again."

Ryan: "Why not? I just want to be a little baby!!"

At which point I tried to change the subject, because what deep psychological thing is going on here that my youngest is worrying about his future, and his strong desire to be a little baby? I'm totally over my head here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...