Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tigers, Poppies and Bobcats

Ryan's Tiger year with Cub Scouts has been busy.

Back on Veteran's Day, we met up for a World War II re-enactment at Camp Mabry.

I know that Veteran's Day in the US is now inclusive of all veterans from wars, but I still was a bit troubled they couldn't have put on a World War I re-enactment.


I suppose its because they didn't use tanks much in World War I, and trench warfare isn't as glamorous to watch.

But still... we celebrate "Veteran's" Day on November 11 the same day that the rest of the world celebrates Remembrance Day. Its a day picked to honor those who died in World War I, and November 11 was picked by Woodrow Wilson to be Armistice Day because its the day World War I ended (the armistice  was signed at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month, 1918, and its a big thing for a history buff like myself). Its supposed to be a day memorializing peace and ending of  the war to end all wars. Forty years later, during Eisenhower's term, Armistice Day was renamed as Veteran's Day, now officially celebrating all Veterans.

Which was and is a nice thing to do. But every time I see pictures of the English wearing their red poppies on November 11, I can't help but be a bit saddened that we've lost the original spirit of the day.

 
Regardless of my own personal feelings, the boys had a great time. 



Ryan also completed his Bobcat achievements, and we recently had his Bobcat ceremony.

All the boys and their "akaleas" (adult scouting partner) get made up as Bobcats at the ceremony.




He could not have been more excited and proud of himself, and it was such a joy to see.


We were all very proud of Ryan on his special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...